CREATE A SMOOTH, RICH, BLACK ELIXIR
If you like dark, malty stouts, try your hand at Saul Kleinberg’s Foreign Extra Stout recipe. He’s shared with us his recipe based on one of his old homebrews and recreated specially for our Private Collection feature. Inspired by his time living in Dublin beside a famous stout brewery, this black elixir is smooth and rich with a hint of dark chocolate and smoke. It features FUGGLE and ULTRA hops straight from his family farm and Wyeast’s 9097-PC Old Ale Blend from this season’s Robust & Ruddy Autumn Private Collection.
Saul Kleinberg is the brewer and owner (along with his wife, Laura and mother, Fran) of Griffin Hill Farm Brewery in Onondaga, New York. This family owned brewery not only brews small batch beer, but grows the hops, honey and maple that influences their creative beers including New York Gold, Farmhouse Ale with Wildflower Honey and a Dubbel Maple Ale. They are a true farm to table brewery, that sell their brewing creations at the regional markets in Syracuse and Marcellus – selling out every weekend!
RECIPE: Foreign Extra Stout
Style: Foreign Extra Stout
Batch size: 5 gallons (19 L)
Boil length: 90 minutes
Starting gravity: 1.072
Final gravity: 1.015
- 12.5 lbs (5.67 kg) Pale Malt
- 1.75 lbs (0.79 kg) Flaked Barley
- 1.0 lb (0.45 kg) Roasted Barley
- 0.5 lb (0.23 kg) Chocolate Malt
- 0.25 lb (0.11 kg) Malted Wheat
- 0.25 lb (0.11 kg) Crystal 80
Hops: Whole Leaf
- .6 oz Ultra 13.3% AA, 60 min
- .7 oz Fuggle 3.5% AA, 20 min
- .2 oz Ultra 13.3% AA, 20 min
- .5 oz Fuggle 3.5% AA, 10 min
- .2 oz Ultra 13.3% AA, 10 min
Yeast: 9097-PC Old Ale Blend
The Old Ale blend from Wyeast provides the beer with distinct tart cherry notes that compliment and accentuate the rich, dark malts.
- Single infusion mash at 154 °F (68 °C).
- After completing the boil, chill the wort to 68 °F (20 °C) and pitch yeast.
- Fermentation will appear complete after 7 to 10 days, but gravity will continue to drop for a period of 1 – 2 months due to the continued activity of the Brettanomyces. A pellicle may appear.
- After the first month periodically check the gravity. When it stops dropping package the beer.
More Recipes to Come
All season we’ll be introducing homebrew recipes that come directly from brewers who partner with us at Wyeast. Each recipe is specifically crafted by a pro for our Robust & Ruddy Private Collection release. These strains are only available for homebrewing now through December 2018.