Key Lime Saison Recipe
Inspired by the region the Key Lime Saison is a classic Belgian Saison with a Florida twist. Refreshing & strong this fruity/spicy ale features a touch of lime to make it the perfect summer brew. Joseph Eibler, Brewmaster at the Naughty Monk Brewery, crafted this homebrew-scale recipe from their original batch just for our Private Collection feature using the 3031-PC Saison-Brett Blend from the Wild Rustic Spring Private Collection.
The Naughty Monk Brewery located in Lakewood Ranch, Florida was born out of happenstance. 3 weary travelers sustained minor injuries in a hard landing and required the medical assistance of the local monks. While partaking in the traditional Belgium beer, the travelers met Fritz, a monk who was passionate about beer but was convinced his lack of discipline would keep him from rising through the ranks of the church to Head Brewmaster. In their euphoric state they decided to take Fritz with them, open a brewery in Florida and call it the Naughty Monk Brewery. Their 8,600 sq ft brewery and taproom is open year round featuring Belgium style beers with a fruity flair using local bursts of tropical fruits including peach, pineapple, mango, blueberry and bananas.
RECIPE: Key Lime Saison
5 Gallon batch
Original gravity: 14.8 °P
Final gravity: 2.7 °P
IBU: Target 15-20
- 7.45 lbs (3.38 kg) Pilsen
- 3.15 lbs (1.43 kg) Munich I
- 1.0 lb (0.45 kg) Vienne
- 0.5 lbs (0.23 kg) Capapils
- 1.60 oz (45 g) Glacier (g) 60 minutes
- 0.80 oz (23 g) Crystal (g) 15 minutes
- 0.64 oz (18 g) Crystal (g) Flame out
- 0.21 oz (6 g) Coriander (5 minutes)
- 0.35 oz (10 g) Key Lime Zest (5 minutes)
- 3031-PC Saison-Brett Blend
- Pitch at 68 °F (20 °C), let rise to 74 °F (23 °C), and hold until fermentation is complete
- Mash at 150 °F (65.6 °C) for 75 minutes
More Recipes to Come
All season we’ll be introducing homebrew recipes that come directly from brewers who partner with us at Wyeast. Each recipe is specifically crafted by a pro for our Wild Rustic Spring release. These strains are only available for homebrewing now through June 2019.